Live In Australia With A Work And Holiday Visa

Australia has a lovely little visa that allows you to live and work in the country for one year. This visa is called a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). There is also a Working Holiday. They each have a list of countries that may apply. Americans fall under the Work and Holiday visa.

The Work and Holiday visa applies to people who are between the ages of 18 and 31, will not have a dependent child with them at any point in the stay, and have a passport from one of the listed countries. With this visa you are allowed to stay in Australia for one year and may work for up to six months with each employer. You may also choose to study for up to four months. During the year your visa is valid you are able to leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you’d like. If you’d like to stay a second year you can earn a second Work and Holiday visa by working three months in Northern Australia in tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry, or fishing.

At the time I am writing this, this visa is easily obtained. I applied and was granted the visa in ten days. The cost was approximately $400 AUD.

If you are considering living abroad I highly recommend you get this visa and make it happen! I know a lot of people who used this visa to get a foot in the door. From there you can obtain a six month contract at a company willing to sponsor a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457). During the six month period the company can file to have your Work and Holiday visa moved to a Temporary Work visa, which allows you to stay in the country for a longer period of time (either 2 or 4 years with an option to extend) as long as you work for the company that sponsored you!

One important thing to note is that with each immigration change it becomes more and more difficult to achieve the Temporary Work Visa. The list of skills that qualify has decreased and the years of experience required has increased. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible! I’m just giving you a heads up so you are prepared and know to do your research ahead of time.

Note: This post is to inform you that this visa exists and to encourage you to apply! I am intentionally leaving out specific details as immigration laws change frequently and I will not be going back and updating this post each time that they do. To ensure you have the most up to date information click here

For more information on living and working in Australia see my posts: Moving To Australia Checklist and Working In Australia.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out! Happy travels!

Love & light,


One thought on “Live In Australia With A Work And Holiday Visa

Leave a Reply